Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG Certified
8865089

I have had a tickly cough for two weeks which often wakes me

Customer Question

I have had a tickly cough for two weeks which often wakes me up at night. I have noticed a flap of skin on the side of my soft palatte that I didn't notice before. It is not my tonsil. I have an appointment with my doctor later in the week but am very worried. I do not have a sore throat or any other symptoms. Sometimes there is phelgm but it is clear. I saw a nurse a few days after it first occured as I could get to see my doctor. All she could tell me was that it wasn't infected and that I was to get an over the counter cough bottle - this did not have any effect and now I am quite worried.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any heart burns or abdominal pain?

Can you please name the medications that you have already used for this?

Please let me know.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no abdominal pain - have had heart burn occasionally but only generally after a really rich meal (this heart burn generally passes quite quickly)

Have tried Benylin - think it was for dry or chesty cough

Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 5 years ago.
Since you are having the cough waking you up often at night it may be related to acid reflux into your food pipe and from there into your windpipe causing a tickly sensation in your throat. Another possibility is that you may be having a mild allergy causing your tickling in the throat. What you can do is that you can try over the counter antihistamines such as benadryl to see if that helps you with your problem. You can also try taking tums for acid reflux to see if that helps you.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - I am still very worried about the little flap of skin which seems to have appeared?
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 5 years ago.
You would need to have that examined to make sure what it is but it does not sound to be anything serious.

Regards
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 5 years ago.
If you have any further follow up questions please let me know. Please do not forget to click the ACCEPT button.