Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a itchy spot on the crown of my head. I have had it

Customer Question

I have a itchy spot on the crown of my head. I have had it for 13+ years. The Docs over the years have prescribed Olux clobetasol propionate foam which doesn't work. It comes and goes for no reason. I have tried other shampoos, conditioners and have used a vinegar rinse which helped somewhat but still didn't relieve the itching. I don't dye, straighten or use any chemicals. I rarely blow dry. There is no flaking or bumps. The area is hot and itchy.

Please help. Thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
Rather than a skin problem, this is likely to be a nerve problem.

The condition of an abnormal sensation in the head or scalp region is called 'Scalp Dysesthesia'.

The different types of abnormal sensations may be burning at the top of the head, itching, crawling, 'lightness', heat, cold, etc.

In your case you are having ithiness.

The exact pathology is not known, but it is theorised that it is probably due to some nerve disorder.

The drugs used for treating this is Doxepin or Amytriptiline.

You should consult with your doctor and discuss with him about scalp dysesthesia and also about treatment with doxepin or amytriptiline.

Other supportive measures that you can try at home are: Maintaining optimum weight, proper diet, vitamin supplements, exercise, treating stress and depression which will help in reducing the symptoms. You should try to achieve this at home. You should also take Vitamin B and Vitamin E supplements which are available at all pharmacies. You should also go for regular exercise

You can look up this study on this condition:
http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/134/3/327

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I do your recommended at home procedures. I am also on HRT. (Bio Identical)I have been retired for 16 years and live on the beach. My life is very Un-stressful. I exercise regularly. I have also noticed that the rest of my skin is getting more and more itchy although nothing like to top of my scalp. I am fair skinned. Do you think this could still fall in the nerve disorder category?
Yes, a nerve disorder still needs to be ruled out.

A local skin condition would not last for 13 years.

Generalised itchiness is also not likely to be related to this since it has only occurred now. It is more likely to be related to menopause and dry skin.

You should discuss about dysesthesias with your doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One more thing. I notice that when I am able to swim in the ocean it clears up immediately. Still nerve?
That doesnt count either for or against a nerve disorder, nor would it count for or against a skin disorder. It may occur due to pressure on the area dissipating the feeling.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, i will check into it. Thank you.
Glad to help.

Hope it works out.