Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

Pulsing pain in lower right abdomen (above feminine area though)

Pulsing pain in lower right abdomen (above feminine area though) that comes and goes (since this morning.) Discomfort ranges from mild to sharp and stabbing, pain was here this morning, then seemed to go away. I ate lunch and now it's back and worse than before.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

What is the severity of the pain on the scale of 0-10?

Do you have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea / constipation, loss of appetite, bloating, urinary burning or increased frequency, vaginal discharge?

Any specific point of tenderness?

Any significant past medical or surgical history?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'd say it's like a severe menstrual cramp, like a 5, nothing like the severity of a labor contraction. No nausea, vomiting, etc... Just ate lunch, so no loss of appetite. The pain is centered to one spot, although it's not tender to the touch. I've had two natural childbirths, drink wine more than I should, 5'3" and 115 lbs, not overwieght. The pain seemed to come back and at a stronger degree after I ate lunch. I am on birth control and it is not time for a menstrual cycle.

Following causes should be considered for this pain;

1) Ovarian torsion

2) Acute salpingo-ophoritis (inflammation of fallopian tubes and ovaries)

3) Acute appendicitis

4) Ureter stone

A watchful waiting can be done for couple of hours to see if the pain abates itself or go mild. But if the pain does not decrease or resolve or at any point of time increases; an ultrasound examination and physical evaluation by a doctor is essential.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun