Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

Can gallstones cause nausea, lack of appetite and gastrointestinal

Can gallstones cause nausea, lack of appetite and gastrointestinal problems?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Most of the times (in 80% of cases) gallstones can exist even without any symptoms. Every year about 5-10% cases become symptomatic.

Gallstones can definitely cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, indigestion, or bloating sensation.

Since your gallstones are symptomatic, treatment is required. Surgical intervention should be considered for patients who have symptomatic gallstones. In most cases, laparoscopic cholecystectomy surgery is currently the standard of care.

Nonsurgical care for gallstones, is by oral dissolution therapy, though this option is rarely used today.

Take care.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Please note that answers and advice are for information only, and do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship. Please Consult a Physician in your State for Medical Advice.

Answers provided through are for educational and research purposes only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, symptoms are:
(no nausea, no lack of appetite)
- gas
- cramping in the stomach
- bloating, belching
- dizziness
* CT scan found small gallstones.
Is this a symptom of gallstones?
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, these symptoms could be due to gallstones. When I said that gallstones can cause symptoms such as abdominal pain, indigestion, flatulence, belching, or bloating sensation, I meant all the symptoms that you have listed (gas, cramping in the stomach, bloating, and belching).

Dizziness is not related to gallstones.

Take care.

Wishing you best of health and happiness.