Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I have a slimy feeling in my mouth. This is recent, abot a

I have a slimy feeling in my mouth. This is recent, abot a week now. I allso have a bitter tase in the back of my mouth. I think its acid reflux. I have been taking some pepcid. I am so depressed becouse I am afraid this is developing into cancer. I dont know if its a lack of digestive enzymes and i dont know what to do.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
You are right that this is most likely to be Acid Peptic Disorder or Acid Reflux. There are several OTC medicines which are generally safe which you can use for this. I would suggest Alka Seltzer two-three teaspoonfuls thrice daily. You should also take Cap. Prilosec 20 mg(OTC) once daily early in the morning.

Besides this, there are some other causes which may cause this.

Sinusitis is the most often implicated cause. Sinus secretions travel down the throat and into the mouth, and this can cause a sensation of slimy feeeling and bitterness.

Any other infection in the mouth, such as tonsillitis or teeth infections, can also cause such slimy feeling and bitterness.

You should consult a Dentist for this.

A feeling of excess saliva can also be generated due to stress. If you are suffering from stress, you should also discuss with your doctor about anti-stress medications.

THis is certainly not a symptom of any cancer. No cancer will cause such symptoms.

Instead you should try first with the Alka Seltzzer and Prilosec. You are likely to get over this with this two medicines. If not, you should consult a dentist and preferably an ENT(ear, nose and throat) specialist.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.