FamilyMD
FamilyMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Licensed in Georgia, Board Certified Family Practice
19526965

I periodically get a tingling sensation on my left temple.

I periodically get a tingling sensation on my left temple. its been happening for a few weeks now
Category: Medical
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

Do you have associated headache? Any problems with vision?
Thanks!

Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No headaches or vision problems
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
You should see your doctor and get an ESR done. The ESR is the erythrocyte sedimentation rate, a blood test which tells if there is any inflammation going on. Sometimes a little tingling in the temple area may be due to inflammation of the arteries, called vasculitis (temporal arteritis). The ESR will be high if there is temporal arteritis, and the treatment for this is a short course of steroid medication. If there are other neurological symptoms besides the tingling in the temple area, then you should get work-up for heart problems and stroke.

Do you have any other medical problems? On any meds? Thanks!

Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After reading about Temporal Arteritis, I don't believe that this is what it is. I still have not reached the at risk age group as well as not having any other symptoms. I will try again to describe what I am feeling. It is a tingling almost tickling sensation (no numbness) on the left side of head, I said temple before, but it is actually closer to the ear. There is no pain, but very annoying. It comes and goes throughout the day and seems to be getting more frequent.
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
Often times, it could be from the sinuses or ears. You may need to get checked out by a physician. The doctor will examine your ears, tap the sinuses, and perhaps order x-rays to look at the bony structures of the sinuses. If no abnormalities are found, and the problem persists, then perhaps a CT scan can be ordered. Do you have any problems with hearing, dizziness (like the room spinning), or ringing in the ears?   Thanks!

Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I have not had any problems with hearing, dizziness or ringing in the ears, but thank you I think I will visit a physician
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
Okay, good luck, and please keep me notified. I'm curious to know what they find. Thanks:)