Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have been experiencing slightly painful burping on and off

I have been experiencing slightly painful burping on and off since saturday evening. II played tennis saturday and out of the blue while out sat night, I burped and it was a little discomforting. I ignored it, the rest of the evening as I was not constantly burping but each time I did it was a little painful. I woke up suday and the same thing throughout the day and the same today being monday. I went and bought some tums and when I finally burped, same pain. I had endo in June, it was normal. Any suggestions on what it could be, pulled muscle, etc.?

Greetings.

Are you able to localize the site of pain?

Did Tums make the pain better?

Any pain on bending or other body movements?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not have any pain at all when I bend or do any movements. The pain isupper right side directly under right breast only when I burp. It does not last long and is not very painful at all. When I take a deep breath, I do not experience pain at all or while eating or drinking. The tums did not help because I did burp shortly after taking one and I still felt sensation.

With the description, it does not seems to be pulled muscle or pain related to musculoskeletal system (muscles or joints of chest wall or abdominal wall). It is likely to be Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). This can be associated with esophagitis (food pipe inflammation). You may continue with the Tums. Also take Prilosec, which is an acid blocker (available without prescription). Restrict alcohol for some time and hopefully this should subside in next couple of day. If it is persistent, it would need an evaluation by a physician and may be upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (camera exam).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun