Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, Doctor
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 yr experience: primary care, OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

how long will constipation last after hysterectomy i had

Customer Question

how long will constipation last after hysterectomy? i had the hysterectomy 10 days ago, at which time the doctor said he had to clamp two little things coming off my colon-he was not sure what they were, but though they may have been leaking. he used 2 stainless steel clamps which will be there permanently. i was unable to have a bowel movement for 7 days at which time i took magnesium citrate, and dulcolax. i had tried milk of magnesia, and stool softeners the day before, but did not work. i was on lortab for 7 days and i just quit taking the anaprox today. prior to surgery, i would normally have a b.m. once a day - every day.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.

Have you had any gas pass since the surgery?

Have you had a bowel movement since surgery?

How much water are you drinking?

Are you eating a regular diet?

How many fruits and veggies are you eating per day?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes i have passed gas.

yes i had a bowel movement on day 7 after surgery - after drinking the whole bottle, which was recommended, and taking a dulcolax suppository. they are both laxatives. then again on day 9 after a dulcolax suppository

i drink about 40 ounces of water a day.

i am eating a regular diet.

i eat about 5 servings of fruit and veges a day

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

First you are doing a good job but I would increase your water to at least 64 oz a day and avoid all caffeine for now. Adding prunes to your diet will help a lot. It is taking longer for you bowels to get readjusted after surgery but the sooner the better. For the next three days I would recommend a natural laxative like senokot to take in the evening or before going to bed for the next 3-4 days. Once you start having daily BM then stop the senokot but continue all the other measure. We don't want you to get dependent on laxatives, so the sooner you are off them the better. Keep up the good work.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is this a common thing after surgery and narcotics? do bowels take time to get to working again? i am worried about them not every working again on their own. if they work with laxatives does that mean they will return to normal soon? i took a generic stool softener last night, but didn't work. should i try this until i can get senokot tomorrow?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the narcotics can slow down the return of normal bowel function. This is one of the problems with taking them. I would continue takeing the stool softener, it will help keep the stool soft but is not really a laxative, so you can continue using this after stopping the laxative. The sooner you can get off the laxative the better and the intestines will return to normal function. Increase your water intake which will allow the large intestine to absorb the water and facilitate movement.

Take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you very much for your help. do you know how long this usually takes? days or weeks before the bowels work when i increase water and stool softener?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.
Hopefully you should start seeing the results within a week if all efforts are done. That is you may have a BM every 2-3 days then this time should start to decrease and eventually you willg et back to daily BM.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so very much. i feel much better now.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.
Glad to help.