Dr. Wright
Dr. Wright, Doctor
Experience:  US MD with rotations in Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Critical Care, Anesthesia,..
9445864

I am having horrible cramps like charley horses all over my

I am having horrible cramps like charley horses all over my body, not just legs, but there too. I get them under my ribs, in my abdomen, neck hands and yes toes. At the time of thcramp my body just contracts that area itserelf and will not loosen up. i HAVE BEEN PYUTTING ICE ON THEM, AND THAT HELPS BUT THEY ARE STRAPPED TO ME WITH ACE BANDAGES AND STAY ON ALL NIGHT because I am exhausted when I finally get sleep I just am too tired to get up and u9nwrap and see if they have passed. Very sore and tired the next day, and sleep is what I need.

I now am using magnets that really does help though they are not feasible at times either. These cramps usually come after getting through the day and trying to do as much as possible to get and stay as fit as possible. I have Fibromyalgia, and pernicious anemia and am low on b12 and iron right now. We cannot seem to get this up and it is a repeat of another Dr. oral medication and then on to shots which worked. I will answer any questions
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wright replied 5 years ago.
First of all, given your age and the gastrectomy, you probably need monthly IM injections of Vitamin B-12. Given your history in relation to this new onset: The cramps you have could be caused by a deficiency of magnesium or potassium due to your malabsorption syndrome. You can try oral potassium or Magnesium Taurate (under your physician's supervision) but if these are failing to absorb as well then you may to talk to your doc about IM or IV options.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry the answer is not really what I was asking. What do you think the cramps are coming from and do I have to live on muscle relaxers, sleeping all the time to keep them uinder control. Why are they there and where did they comer from? No Dr. wants to acknowledge these for treatment as it doesn't seem important to them, they are not thew ones rolling in the floor in pain in the middle of the night, with my poor husband trying to find something that will get me a able to get back to sleep. It is not an electrolyte thing as I drink a lot of water, and my values are all within normal limits, so I guess that is why they think there is nothing wrong. I should be in shape and not have these things by now, so what is the suggestion now, what kind of Dr. should I see, this is Canada and the Dr is 82 and rural Canada is very hard to get any answers, hell any of Canada is hard to get care now, they do not have enough Dr's and they are generally not accepting new patients. I am US and my husband is Canada and we retired here 5 yrs ago. I have had none of the kudos of retirement so far and have found really that life does not begin at 40, it doesn't even begin at 60, it is all downhill from there.
That's what I am telling you; I believe they are almost assuredly being cause by a deficiency in magnesium and/ or potassium- perhaps calcium as well. Some practitioners also advocate Vitamin E supplementation. I know you may be thinking that this MUST be some sort of complicated disease process and that such a treatment almost sounds too simple to believe but I am here to tell you that this is not that uncommon. Here, read from this link: http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Health/legcramp.htm
Dr. Wright, Doctor
Experience: US MD with rotations in Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Critical Care, Anesthesia,..