Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

i have a bulge on the outside lower calf of left leg. i have

i have a bulge on the outside lower calf of left leg. i have had numbness and pain in this area down into my left foot for a couple of months. i am on my feet alot and only recently noticed the bulge there. the pain sometimes run higher with a squeezing sensation up to about my knee. i also sometimes have quite a bit of pain in my ankle joint. any ideas? i have not had any recent injuries to this leg. i did have my right kneecap replaced last year. i am only 31 so i am a little concerned why all my joints ect hurt alot as well as this now. i waitress and have horses so i am quite busy and up and about
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer
Hello.Have you had any investigations done for the leg/Spine?Any family history of Arthritis/Connective Tissue disorders like Lupus?Any systemic disease?Are you taking any medicines?Please give me more data.Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HI, I DO HAVE THE BEGINNINGS OF OSETOARTHRITIS. I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY KNEES SINCE I WAS 10 . I HAVE NOT HAD ANYBODY LOOK AT THIS YET . NOR INVESTIGATIONS DONE FOR LEG OR SPINE. I DO NOT KNOW OF ANYONE HAVING LUPUS. NOT TAKING MEDICATIONS BUT I WAS TAKING CUMUDIN LAST YEAR FOR 3 MONTHS WHEN I HAD MY KNEECAP REPLACEMANT.
I suggest you get yourself investigated.The bulge in the calf may be a lipoma,a myoma or muscle mass ,a tear in the muscle or a vascular mass.It needs to be investigated as it may be impinging on the nerves of the foot causing numbness and pain.You also need to rule out a spinal cause for the foot pain and numbness,apart from local causes.The swelling of the calf will need a complete physical check up by a doctor/Surgeon ,X-ray studies,, Doppler studies,and may need a CT Scan .Once identified ,specific treatment will help.