Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.

I get what seem to be gas bubbles in my upper abdomen, at

I get what seem to be "gas bubbles" in my upper abdomen, at my rib cage area, approx. every month or so. When it occurs, I get fast heartbeats that persists for several minutes. This has gone on for about 20 years, since we moved to the farm, and I did heavy lifting moving in furniture. I normally sit or lie down & drink a glass of water & the heartbeat returns to normal w/in a few min's.

3 weeks ago I was hospitalized for urinary tract infection. Since coming home, my appetite has not returned to normal. All I eat is yogurt, ice cream, milk, chicken noodle soup. The fast heartbeats & faintness spells are very frequent now, maybe once or twice a day. 3 nights ago I had a fast heartbeat, got up from chair, went for a cup of water, suddenly felt faint, fell to the floor, & hit my head. I am wondering what is causing me to have these "spells" more frequently now, every day as opposed to once a month or every other month?
are you on any medications?
are you diagnosed with any medical condition?
do you also have sweating(perspiration)during this episode?
have you got any tests done so far for your problem,if yes please mention
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not diagnosed w/any medical condition.
Since leaving the hospital I have taken antibiotics (10-days) for my urinary tract infection. I do not recall perspiring during episodes.
No test have been done so far. I have tolerated this problem for 20 years or more, as the episodes have only occurred every 1 to 2 months. I am concerned now, as they occur every 8 to 10 hours, since I was hospitalized and now have returned home. This was my first hospital visit in more than 45 years. Never been hospitalized in my life other than for childbirth.

Welcome to just answer,

Thanks for answering my questions,

Now looking at your age,symptoms,past medical history,it seems that your symptoms could be due to arrhythmia as that causes similar symptoms like yours so ask your physician to do EKG to rule this possibility out.
The reason for me mentioning this possibility is because when you don`t work or lie down the symptoms subside.Ask your physician also to do complete metabolic profile as imbalance in electrolytes like serum sodium,serum potassium can lead to arrhythmia and be the cause behind your symptoms too.
Other possibility could be thyroid hormone imbalance as increase in thyroid hormone can cause similar symptoms like yours,so ask your physician to do thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) to rule this possibility.
Now other possibility could be diaphragmatic hernia as it may present with gas bubbles in stomach and may produce heart symptoms too,so ask your physician to do xray of abdomen at erect position to rule this possibility.
Other possibility at your age,with similar symptoms seems less likely
Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.