Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

I have burning sinuses (almost like a chemical burn, like Ive

I have burning sinuses (almost like a chemical burn, like I've been inhaling bleach fumes through my nose). I feel spacy and tired, but no congenstion and no fever. Pressure around eyes, above and below. The pressure was there for 3 weeks. Burning started four days ago. What should be my next course of action? Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Is this something you've had before?

You have no other signs of an infection - e.g. dripping nose / cough / etc?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I get this probably once a year, but not necessarily at the same time of year. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to pass. Sometimes my doctor will put me on antibiotics 2 weeks in, but I'm never sure if they are what helped, or if it just runs its course after a couple of weeks.

No other signs of infection that I can see. Nothing discolored comes out when I do the rinses and I'm not running a fever.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Are you still using the decongestants (even though you don't need to)?

And still washing out your sinuses with the saline washes?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I stopped the decongenstants yesterday when nothing had changed in the pressure around my eye. Thought I might be drying them out further. The last dose was mid-afternoon yesterday.

I am still doing the saline rinses today.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Stopping the decongestants was probably a good idea.

Certainly, that could have been playing into the problems with the dryness and the worsening of your symptoms, especially if you didn't need them -- and causing irritation of the sinuses.

If you don't need the saline rinses as well, you may want to consider trying to stop those as well, since if you aren't having sinus drainage / congestion issues, then saline rinses may not be doing much at all.

Given your lack of other symptoms, and the pain just around the sinuses as you describe, you probably can keep an eye on this and watch for it to get better, as you may be overtreating yourself here.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. How long should I wait before calling my phsician? At what point would you recommend having it looked at if it if nothing changes?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Certainly -- see what happens as you give your sinuses a rest from all of this overwashing and overdrying.

And make sure that the pains improve over the weekend.

Certainly, if they continue to worsen -- or you start to develop fever, or other unusual symptoms, then seeing your doctor would be best.