Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Treat children/young adults, former chief resident, multiple publications
20089981

my 4 year old daughter had a red bumpy rash on the back of

my 4 year old daughter had a red bumpy rash on the back of her upper leg. now she has lost pigment at rash site. I am really worried! what would cause this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that your daughter is having this problem, but I will try to reassure you. Assuming she is otherwise healthy, I think she most likely has something called pityriasis alba, which is something benign. More information is available here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_alba). I will include a photo. If this is NOT remotely what your daughter's skin looks like, please accept my apologies and I will try again. I would try hydrocortisone cream or ointment, which can usually be found over the counter, to see if that helps. In unusual cases, you could try a prescription medication like tacrolimus, but again this is unusual.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can help in any other way. Best wishes and I hope she does well. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXXgraphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am worried that it is vitiligo. do you think it could be that? although it does seem to look a lot like the picture you sent.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the followup question. Vitiligo can look like this but (1) this is much more common to happen acutely and (2) this is much more common to happen in the context of an eczematous or other inflammatory rash as you describe. Again I can't say for sure without examiing her but I would strongly lean towards pityriasis alba.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can help with anything else. Best wishes and I hope she does well. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she started the rash back in march but I didn't notice the white spots until this summer. if it is pityriasis alba will her color return and will it spread?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the followup question. Typically the pityriasis alba is more noticable in summer, perhaps because the skin around the area is a bit darker in the sun. The history you have provided again is consistent with pityriasis alba. Typically this does not spread. How long it will last is difficult to say--could be months to years, but almost always the color does come back, yes.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can help with anything else. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do you get this and can you give it to someone else. also is it normal to still be bumpy in parts?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Thank you again for your further question. No one knows really what causes it as far as I know but it has to do with some inflammatory process affecting the melanocytes (the cells that make melanin, the skin pigment). It is absolutely normal to still be bumpy. It is in no way contagious.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX