Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

What does AG ratio high mean on a test?

Albumin- To screen for a liver disorder or kidney disease or to evaluate nutritional status.

Globulin- Globulins are proteins that can be measured in blood serum. High levels may indicate liver disease, chronic inflammation, and autoimmune diseases. Low levels may be related to immune deficiency kidney problems or bowel related disease.

A/G (ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN) RATIO
The liver can function adequately on 20% of liver tissue, thus early diagnosis by lab methods is difficult. A reversed A/G Ratio may be a helpful indicator. With severe liver cell damage, the prolonged prothrombin time will not change with ingestion of Vitamin K. The proper albumin to globulin ratio is 2:1. When <1.7, there is may be a need for increasing stomach acidity. When >3.5 there may be a need for stomach acidity and pepsin.

Optimal Range: 1.7

The AG ratio may be elevated in:
Hypothyroidism
High protein/high carbohydrate diet with poor nitrogen retention
Hypogammaglobulinemia (low globulin)
Glucocorticoid excess (can be from taking medications with cortisone effect, the adrenal gland overproducing cortisol, or a tumor that produces extra cortisol like compounds, low globulin)

The AG ratio may be decreased in:
Liver dysfunction
Nutritional status
Kidney Disease

Here's a link to more information:
www.drkaslow.com/.../proteins_-_albumin__globulins_.html

So, as you can see, there are a number of causes which affect the AG ratio. Treatment depends on the cause- you need further testing to figure this out- most likely it is your thyroid...you can take thyroid medication if it is low.

Warm regards

Read full interaction below »

Question

I had a test and my AG ratio is high. What does that mean and how do they fix it?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.

A/G (ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN) RATIO

Optimal Range: 1.7

The AG ratio may be elevated in:
Hypothyroidism
Hypogammaglobulinemia (low globulin)

The AG ratio may be decreased in:
Liver dysfunction
Nutritional status
Kidney Disease

Here's a link to more information:

Warm regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It’s 2.0 what other number do you need I have results in hand now ab is 4.7 tp is 7.0 ext.

A normal A/G ratio is around 1.1 to 1.8

So, if you are 2.0, I really wouldn't be worried about it. Get it rechecked in 6 weeks. If it is still elevated or if it gets more elevated, then make sure they check your thyroid.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have been feeling lightheaded and heart rate is fast, could that cause that I had thyroid checked what letters are for thyroid.

Could that 2.0 be caused by high cholesterol?

No, 2.0 is not caused by high cholesterol.