Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Swelling of the foot, ankle, calf knee and thigh The swelling

Swelling of the foot, ankle, calf knee and thigh The swelling can be severe. Pain in middle and back of knee and up the outside of thigh. Have felt a popping sensation inside of knee twice. This has cause a lot of pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Jingles,

Have you injured the leg or knee?
Have you had any testing done for the swelling?
Do you have varicose veins?
Any recent surgery? Recent long car rides or plane rides?
History of blood clots in you or your family?
Are you on any medications?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No injury, no testing done, yes I do have varicose veins, no surgery, no long car or plane rides, one person with a blot clot in the family, yes, but I have been taking them for years and haven't had trouble

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
What have you been taking for years?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ramipril, Glimepiride.Tricor, Crestor, Menest, Lexapro and Burpropion
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Jingles,
The concern if you are having swelling in one leg is the possibility of a blood clot. Especially if you have a family history of blood clot. If you are on hormone therapy, this can increase your risk even further. In order to rule out a blood clot, you will need an ultrasound of the leg. Blood clots are very serious, so you need to be evaluated as soon as possible.

Varicose veins can also cause chronic swelling of the legs. The swelling usually gets worse if you have been on your feet for long periods of time because the blood pools in the veins and fluids leak out into the tissues. Treatments include vein stripping, injections into the veins, jobst stockings, elevation, avoidance of salt.

Your knee pain may be due to arthritis or a baker's cyst (which is typically caused by an underlying cartilage injury).

The first thing that needs to be ruled out is a blood clot though.

If you have any other questions or would like to discuss further, let me know.
Dr Abby