Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

I am experiencing bad swelling in various part of my body at

Customer Question

I am experiencing bad swelling in various part of my body at any time. When I awoke yesterday my eyes were swollen shut and today my lips have swollen, I am desperate for help!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 4 years ago.
DearCustomer

What is your age and gender?
Are you a diabetic?
Do you have any kidney disease?
Do you have any allergies?
Do you have any heart problems?
How long does it take for the swelling to go down or does it remain all day long?
Is your whole body affected at the same time or different parts at different times?
Do your legs also swell up?
Are you on any medication?
Any medicine you have recently started?
Anything else you feel may be important and you will like to tell me?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Female - 60 years Not diabetic No Kidney disease Allergic to MSG and Sulfites and Sulfa Drug. No Heart problems Swelling takes 4 to 7 days to go down. Not my legs, just my feet. No Meds at the moment.

No recently started meds.

It just pops out of nowhere at any time. It's very painful when it happens inside the body. When you can see and feel it on the outside it often is accompanied by an itch, especially on the feet and hands. You can actually watch your tongue grow until it comes out your mouth. Emergency Hosptial? Yes. They have nothing to give without Sulfites. HELP

DearCustomer

There can be several causes of it and some can be serious and require urgent action and care.
These need to be ruled out by an astute physician with physical examination and relevant investigations. The common causes include
1.Hypoproteinemia that is the decreased levels of proteins in the body.
2.Hypothyroidism
3.Obesity can also cause ankle swelling
4.Varicose veins can cause foot swelling but not on other parts of body.
5.Deep vein thrombosis is usually unilateral that is can cause swelling on one side foot only. It can be ruled out by a color doppler examination
6.Lymphedema which is much less common

But specific to your case I will like to rule out decresed renal function which can cause it and swelling will be present in face and around the eyes also.You need blood tests for blood urea and serum creatinine to rule it out.
Another diagnosis to be ruled out in your case is an allergic reaction to an element in your enviroment which would cause such symptoms.

Congestive heart failure (you may also get a dry cough with this),Drug side effects like Amlodipine and other calcium channel blockers, gabapentin etc...can also be responsible but you have already ruled these out.

Therefore it is advised to visit a physician and get yourself investigated.Not all drugs contain sulphites
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not accept this diagnosis. I specified that I have a serious sulfitie allergy. There are sulfites in Benydryl, epinephrine, asprin etc., non of which have needed thank goodness.

Now I need an antidote to sulfites. The swelling is nothing like ankle swelling, it is hard swelling and major in the area affected at the time. I am thankful that it has never affected my breathing yet. Again, I know people with these types of swelling that you mention, but this is nothing like that.

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.
I would be looking at a condition called ANGIOEDEMA. This is similar to urticaria but the swelling is deeper. The welts usually occur around the eyes and lips. They may also be found on the hands, feet, and throat. They may form a line or be more spread out.This may be allergic or even hereditary in nature. Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is caused by low levels or improper function of a protein called C1 inhibitor. This problem affects the blood vessels. People with hereditary angioedema can develop rapid swelling of the hands, feet, limbs, face, intestinal tract, larynx (voicebox), or trachea (windpipe).
I believe that you need to be evaluated by an allergist for the same,
Read more here
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000846.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001456.htm
I hope this the answers the query to your satisfaction.
Warm regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Goodmorning Doctor,

The allergist has already ruled out angioadema. Why is the SULFITE issue not being addressed? Do you have an antidote to this serious reaction? I am desperate!

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.
Have you been tested for C1 inhibitor deficiency?
As far as sulfite allergy goes, unfortunately there is "antidote" for the same.
Like most allergies the treatment involved preventing the same by avoiding foods and drinks and medications that contain Sulfite.
For a great web resource on sulfite allergy read here
http://foodallergies.about.com/od/commonfoodallergies/p/sulfiteallergy.htm
Warm regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is unfortunate that I cannot find an answer to my health issue with you. I have found the diagnostic results to be unsatisfactory, therefore, I would like to cancel and have my deposit returned immediately. Thank you.