Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

I have unexplain bruising on my center lower back. I have been

I have unexplain bruising on my center lower back. I have been suffering with lower back pain for three months now. When I change position (sit to stand, stant to sit, or twist) it feels like my lower vertebrae (spine) is going "snap, crackle, pop." My lower right side now causes a great deal of pain. It is near impossible to get to sleep.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

How old are you?

Are you having bruising elsewhere?

Did this bruising just start, or did it start with the lower back pain three months ago?

Do you have pain that radiates down the legs?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am 37.

There is no other bruising.

The bruising just started about three days ago.

Prior to massage the pain was radiating down the legs. It has lessened now. The massage therapist worked on my back, gluts and legs. The legs and gluts feel well now, but the back feels worse than ever. The last massage appointment was 10 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Was the massage a fairly aggressive massage?

And have you taken aspirin in the past two weeks?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The massage was not aggressive, as the therapist knew I was in a great deal of pain. She worked very diligently.

I only took asprin last night, with a great deal of water. It was difficult to stay on my left side to sleep, but it did aleviate some of the pain when I awoke this morning.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
<p>OK.</p><p> </p><p>Sorry for the delay, for some reason my computer did not see you had responded to the message. </p><p> </p><p>The fact that you have had pain in the back that has been going on for 3 months without improvement means that this should be further evaluated. The fact that it also did radiate down the legs does point to the possibility that the nerves in the lower back are being irritated, as that can cause back pain with radiation down the legs.</p><p> </p><p>It is difficult to explain the bruising, though aspirin can cause the blood to "thin" and make you more prone to bruising (as massage could cause) -- it's tough to say why this would have occurred, other than the massage could have caused a bruise in the muscle, which could now just be seen in the skin (as the blood "leaked" out of the muscle"). </p><p> </p><p>Regardless, your pains should be evaluated by your doctor -- and consideration for imaging, xrays then MRI, since your pains have not significantly improved and it has been 3 months.</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My earlier questions were sent just after my shower this morning: not certain if it will make a difference but the bruising was first seen on Friday, it remained significant yeaterday and today, however, I just noticed that after my shower it has faded to the point that it is barely recognizable. I did let hot water hit my back for about ten minutes straight in the shower. Does this make a difference to your answer?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

No, the fact that it has improved (which bruises would be expected to do with time) means again that it was likely an insignificant bruise, that is on it's way to healing.

The more important issue is the continuing severe back pain, so having that issue evaluated by your doctor is still best.

Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience: U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery