Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Are there lymph nodes in the lower back area; just above the

Are there lymph nodes in the lower back area; just above the pelvis? I have a couple soft, moveable lumps in the area on either side of the spine, just above the pelvis. Any ideas on what these could be.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

How long have these lumps been there?
Are they tender?
Getting larger?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Two lumps have been there for years, one for about 8 months. They are very mobile and sem to slide around if i apply pressure to them.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.
There are no lymph nodes in that area. By your description, I suspect that the lumps are lipomas.
These are benign collections of mature fat cells enclosed within a fibrous capsule. They typically do not cause symptoms, are superficial, movable, soft and rubbery in consistency. You do not have to do anything about them unless they start to bother you or become painful or large (which is not typical but can happen).
The other, less likely possibility, is that they are epidermal inclusion cysts. These are also benign. The way you can tell if this is what they is by looking to see if there is a pinpoint hole in the surface. If you see the hole, then you have your diagnosis. These cysts can become red, inflamed and infected. No need to remove these unless they become infected.

You can see your doctor to confirm the diagnosis. The fact that they have been there for several years helps to support a benign diagnosis.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Dr Abby