Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

What causes my nose to be cold all of the time

What causes my nose to be cold all of the time?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Anastasia,

Our noses are considered "non-essential" organs of our body. Therefore, the circulation of the nose is not as closely regulated as that of our brain, heart, kidneys, etc. There is not much blood supply to the tip of the nose and therefore it is typically cooler than the rest of the body.

You can have your doctor check and make sure you are not hypothyroid or anemic. If your fingertips or toes turn white when exposed to cool temperature changes then red as they warm back up, you may have something called Raynaud's, which is a spasm of the small blood vessels in response to cold temperatures.

I hope that answers your question. A cold nose itself is not a symptom of a disease but if you have the white fingers or toes, ask your doctor about Raynauds.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was glad to have an answer on a Sunday and to know that the symptom did not indicate a deathly disease. However, the answer would not print out--was that intended, or was it my error or an error in my equipment?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
No, I don't think it is intended not to print out necessarily, but I'm not sure to be honest!

You could try copying the post and then printing...