Dr. Redd
Dr. Redd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in Internal Medicine. I have been in full-time private practice for over 15 years.

HAD A BOIL ON MY RIGHT BOTTOM OF STOMACH WENT TO E.R. ON FRIDAY

HAD A BOIL ON MY RIGHT BOTTOM OF STOMACH WENT TO E.R. ON FRIDAY NIGHT THEY LANCED IT AND PACKED IT TOLD ME TO RETURN ON SUNDAY EVENING TO REPACK IT SO I RETURNED ON SUNDAY EVENING THEY TOOK PACKING OUT MY WHOLE BOTTOM OF STOMACH WAS REAL RED THAY SAID I WOULD HAVE TO BE PUT IN HOSPITAL I HAD STAPH I STAYED THERE 4 DAYS THEY RAN ANTIBIOTICS THROUGH IV ALL 4 DAYS,SENT ME HOME WITH BACTRIUM AND CLINDAMYCIN A WEEK LONGER ENDED BACK UPAT DOCTOR SAID IT LOOK GOOD TOLD HIM IT THERE WAS A HARD THING UNDER SKIN ON STOMACH AS BIG AS A SAUCER AND IT IS PAINFUL HE SAID JUST KEEP TAKING MEDICANE WENT HOME ENDED BACK UP IN E.R. ONE WEEK LATER ON A SATURDAY WHERE THEY HAD LANCED MY BOIL THE FIRST TIME I WENT TO E.R WITH IT YOU COULD RUB WHERE THEY LANCED IT AND IT WAS A REAL HARD THING UNDER SKIN FELT LIKE A PACE MAKER UNDER SKIN ON MY STOMACH IT SIZE OF SAUCER UNDER SKIN GETTING BIGGER E.R. DOCTOR SAID IT IS CELLULITIS THAT INFECTION TURN HARD THAT MEDICANE WILL LIQUIFY IT STILL SAME AND PAINFUL
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 4 years ago.
Customer

I can try to help.

I do have a couple of questions ...
Are you still on antibiotics?
What is your temperature?
Is the redness on your skin still there? If so, does it cover more or less area than it did a few days ago?
What other medicines are you on, and what other medical problems do you have?
What specialty is your doctor (the one you saw in the office)?

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am still on bactrium ds and clydimycin (i think) 450 mg both is 3 times a day and fever is around 99.9 and outside of stomache is light red its inside of stomache so concerned about where they lanced the boil about week later it got real hard inside under where the boil was kept getting bigger right now its bout almost big as a plate and on right side of lower side of where it was lanced it feels like a babys leg in there they said it is hard infection i am just worried
Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 4 years ago.
Customer

I think I understand. You had a large boil, that was lanced and packed in the ER. Then, when you went back to have the packing removed, you looked worse, so the hospital admitted you for iv antibiotics, to try to remove the infection. Because you continued to feel a hard, painful place under your skin (where the boil was lanced), you went back to the ER to be rechecked. When you went back, the doctors felt that what you had under your skin was a part of the healing process, rather than new or worsening infection. So you were told to continue the Bactrim DS and Clindamycin, and that eventually it would get better.

Could you tell me if I am understanding you correctly?

Also, just a couple other questions: are you diabetic?
What specialty is the doctor you saw in the office (family practice? surgery?)
Is your redness worse today than it was a few days ago, or the same, or better?

Thanks. I'm online and will watch for your answers.
Dr. Redd
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no im not a diabetic

the doctor is a family practice doctor

on top of belly its not redder than it was but under skin deep in the skin there is a big round hard place the size of a plate the e.r. doctor said it is cellulitis ans the hardis infection but it will liquify as i take the antiobiotics but its not got no better its got more painful and the hard place has got bigger

Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Thank you for your answer. It is encouraging that the skin is not redder, but it is worrisome that the hard place has enlarged and become more painful while you are on antibiotics. Also, it is worrisome that your temperature is running 99.9 or so. I would feel better about your infection if it was gradually becoming less painful, less firm, and your temperature was returning to normal.

My suggestion is that you see your family doctor again, and ask him/her to recheck your wound and to check your temperature, either orally or rectally, while you are there. If it is still close to 100 degrees F, and if your doctor also agrees that the firm area underneath is enlarging and seems more tender, then I would ask your doctor to schedule you to see a surgeon for re-evaluation.

That doesn't mean you have to have surgery, but it means that you will be evaluated by someone who may have more experience in serious abdominal wounds. It is possible that your doctor will also want to get an imaging study, such as an ultrasound or a CT scan, to better visualize if the abscess is increasing or decreasing.

Best wishes,
Dr. Redd
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one more question can infection get hard like this?i have talk with alot of family and friends they say they havent never heard of infection getting hard like this in your stomach i am just very scared about this its really worried me to death,and also if this is infection and i have been on all this medication should it already liquified so they can drain it?this has been going on 1 month yesterday since they put me in hospital and 1 month and 3 days since first time i ever went to e.r. and they first last lanced and packed it,this will be last questions i am sorry but i am very scared about this and thanks for your time and God bless you Smile
Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 4 years ago.
Customer

It is possible for an infection to cause your abdomen to feel hard. I have seen it many times. It is due to the inflammation in the skin that surrounded the abscess. You are not abnormal.

Sometimes the abscess just slowly gets better and does not need to be redrained.

Where I would be concerned and want to be rechecked sooner is if you persisted with a temperature close to 100 degrees F, or if the firm area is continuing to enlarge and continuing to get more tender. Then I would want you to be rechecked.

Best wishes,
Dr. Redd
Dr. Redd, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified in Internal Medicine. I have been in full-time private practice for over 15 years.