Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

I had a AST of 43 and ALT 67. Am I in trouble

I had a AST of 43 and ALT 67. Am I in trouble?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Unless the value of AST and ALT are more than double of normal, they are not considered to be significantly elevated. Just the use of medications like acetaminophen for some time can elevate them. The following points will clear the raise in your liver enzymes;

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in many individuals.

3) Just this level of enzyme elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) Only a persistent increase of two fold for three months (tests repeated at monthly interval) will need further studies or invasive investigations like liver biopsy.

5) The other causes should be observed if there is no history of any medications, alcohol abuse and investigation for hepatitis B and C are normal and there are no medical evidence of the following diseases (which can elevate these enzymes); muscle disorders, thyroid disorders, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency and anorexia nervosa.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is considered normal? Are these numbers considered high and should I be very conserned?

A normal range is up to 45 for both of these liver enzyme tests. Anything above 100 is significant. So your levels are not significantly high and are not concerning. Cutting the alcohol would be beneficial. Please do not worry at all.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun