Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

My left ear feels asif it is heavy and full. What can be causing

Customer Question

My left ear feels asif it is heavy and full. What can be causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.

It sounds that you have had some infection that caused inflammation of the back of the throat. Located at the back of the throat are the openniings of the eustacian tube. This is the tube that allows the pressure to equalize between the middle ear and the outside. If the eustacian tube becomes swollen shut then it causes a vacuum to occur in the middle ear space. Then fluid is pulled into this space. Finally with time the stagnant fluid usually becomes infected. I would guess that you are in the earlier stages of this continuum. You may want to have your doctor take a look to see if you have a middle ear infection or fluid in the middle ear space(serous otitis media). Both of these stages are usually treated with a course of antibiotic.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any and I'll be glad to get back with you.

If my answer has been satisfactory to you then I would greatly appreciate it if you would remember to press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD