Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

I have sharp pain in chest when swallowing food clears a bit

I have sharp pain in chest when swallowing food clears a bit when a burp but still a dull ache also I think my ibs has started up.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 4 years ago.
How old are you? Any other medical problems or medications?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No to any other health problems apart from the odd bout of constipation again that depends I think on what I eat the only medication I take is a tablet once a week for my Ostepenni but I have been taking that for 3yrs.
How old are you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
56 years old
Hi
Sorry about the delay. Well, the pain could be from your IBS or it could be an inflammation of your esophagus from reflux. The fact that it improves with burping makes me less suspicious of heart disease, which is always a consideration when you have people >50 complaining of any chest pain of any time. That being said, if you are having any pain with ambulation, chest pressure, or other concerning symptoms, go to the ER right away.
At any rate, try taking over the counter zantac and maalox. This will help decrease the acid production and should improve your symptoms. As well, stay away from alcohol, spicy foods and fatty foods. Eat a bland diet until you feel better. If you develop any worsening pain, black or bloody stool, you need to see your doctor right away.

best wishes

press the accept button if this was helpful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try the maalox for a short time as all antiacid did not help my IBS it just made it worse. do you think that the acid is coming back into my oesphagus as I have no heartburn only after I eat I have a sour burp,I am just making sure this is the right med to take, as I said previously my doctor had prescibed anti acid 5yrs ago and it made things much worse it took 6 months and a stay in hospital to get over it, so I don't want to go down that way again.    
I do see your point. Give the maalox a go- the sour burp means that gas is coming from the stomach and if you take the sour part, a lot of gas and fluid is coming up- enough to irritate your esophagus. Here is some information about GERD:

Heart burn is caused by the reflux of acidic secretions from the stomach. It is often worse during (and sometimes after) pregnancy because of the increase intraabdominal pressure. Other causes include relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter (also common in pregnancy, but for some reason more prominent other some people than others) and hiatal hernia.

Treatment with the H2 blockers (such as pepcid- which you now can buy over the counter) and medications such as maalox and mylanta. If this does not work, you may need prescription H2 blockers or proton pump inhibitors (PPI). Rarely do you need surgery (may be needed in the case of a hiatal hernia)

Heartburn is also called GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease). Other symptoms include regurgitation, difficulty swallowing and even chronic cough.

Common foods that can worsen reflux symptoms include

citrus fruits
chocolate
drinks with caffeine or alcohol
fatty and fried foods
garlic and onions
mint flavorings
spicy foods
tomato-based foods, like spaghetti sauce, salsa, chili, and pizza
If you smoke, stop. Avoid foods and beverages that worsen symptoms. Lose weight if needed. Eat small, frequent meals. Wear loose-fitting clothes. Avoid lying down for 3 hours after a meal. Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gerd/

If you have any black stool, bloody stool, severe burning, vomiting fevers or other concerns, you need to see a physician right away.

Press the green accept button if this has been helpful. Feedback and bonus

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing