Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

my uric acid level is 9.1 How dangerous is this and what must

my uric acid level is 9.1 How dangerous is this
and what must I take to reduce it other than changing my diet
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

The 9.1 uric is considered quite high and is associated with two metabolic problems;

1) gout

2) formation of urate kidney stones

Two classes of drugs are available for use as urate-lowering agents. The first is xanthine oxidase inhibitors, which block metabolic steps in the synthetic pathway of uric acid. Drugs are allopurinol and febuxostat. The other class of drugs are uricosurics, such as probenecid, which act to increase renal (kidney) uric acid secretion. Other uricosurics medicines are sulfinpyrazone and benzbromarone.

In addition to the standard agents other drugs have been found to have salutary effects on serum uric acid. Vitamin C has shown to have a mild urate-lowering effect at a dose of 500 mg daily. Fenofibrate, losartan or amlodipine have been demonstrated to have mild uricosuric effects.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am very tired and experiencing cramps as well. How quickly can any RX reduce the acid level and improve my well being.??? If this level continues for any period how harmful is it?

The treatment reduces the blood levels of uric acid in around 72 hours or less in majority of people. The tiredness and cramps can be associated with the high uric acid. This continuous high level can precipitate the crystal in the joints and that destroys the synovium (joint covering), which can lead to long term pains, swelling and decreased range of movements.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun