Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

What To Do About The Sinus Drainage From My Nose To Stomach?

I have constant sinus drainage which is making me nauseous and irritates my eyes. I have taken chlorpheniramine 8mg/120mg for many years but just found out that the FDA is doing a study and making manufacturers stop producing this. This was the only drug that has helped me.

I need something which will help stop the sinus drainage by drying it up. I do not need a decongestant because my sinuses are not clogged, they just constantly drain and make me sick to my stomach. I need a prescription or OTC that works.

Can you please help me?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.

Have you seen a ear, nose and throat doctor for this?

Any tests done such as a CT scan of the sinuses?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, it's been a long time since I saw the ENT because the Chlorphenir-Ephed 8mg/120mg has worked very well for over 25 years. It's also been a long time since I had a CT scan. I don't get sinus infections. I have this constant sinus drainage. I am currently trying Flonase but it is not drying anything up adequately.

I've been told to take Chlore-Trimeton OTC which has not helped. I need something that can truly dry this.

Thank you.

I would suggest that you consult an ENT doctor. You should discuss with him about a CT scan of the sinuses. You may be having chronic inflammatory changes of the sinus mucosa or polypoidal changes which could be causing this discharge. You will then need appropriate treatment for this.

Till then, I would suggest some simple lifestyle changes and alternative treatment for this:

Fluids: Drink plenty of water.
Humidifier: Use a humidifier in your room since drying of the sinuses can cause this.
Warm compresses: Warm compresses on the sinus areas will give relief.
Vitamin C supplement: 1000 mg Vit. C supplements daily (available OTC).
N-Acetyl Cysteine: This is a supplement available at natural food stores that helps with drainage.

You can try these steps which will help in enhancing the natural drainage of the sinuses and you will get relief.

I hope my answer has helped you.