Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

Hello, I have severe knee pain. Both knees ache the same.

I have severe knee pain. Both knees ache the same. I'm 63 but went to a knee surgeon who told me I had no arthritis or knee deteriation and sent me away. The pain continues and I've read recently in a healthy shoe and brace magazine that the sell a knee brace just for women to lift their knee caps which have dropped and are scraping bone. They said the pain could be moderate to severe.

My question: Is there a medical procedure to lift the knee caps - rather than wearing knee braces my whole life?

Thank uou
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Do you have pain elsewhere -- such as in the front of the thighs as well, or back pain?

It seems strange to have knee pains - both knees - and a surgeon finding nothing wrong with the knee itself.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can't help that it seems strange. Please re-read my question and tell me if it's possible for the ligament or tendon holding up kneecaps can strech causing the kneecap to not run in the proper channel, scrape other bones...
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Could you answer the other question:

Do you have pain elsewhere -- such as in the front of the thighs as well, or back pain? Or further down into the shins and top of the feet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No - only front of knees. Please realize - the pain is severe (I'm not kidding)
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

OK.

Since you are asking about a specific surgical procedure involving the knees, I've asked an orthopedic surgeon to look at the question. Please be patient, I'm sure he will be with you shortly.

Best of luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK - waiting for an orthopedic surgeon

Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer It is possible to have patellar instability problems producing pain only in the front of knee. Surgical procedures which decompress the patellofemoral joint ( that is the joint formed by patella and the underlying femur bone)are also described. In fact isolated patellofemoral replacement is also available though it is not done by all replacement surgeons and is available only in a small number of centers. But all the above treatments are to be considered only if patellofemoral joint is considered to be the cause of your complaints.It can be determined only by a careful physical examination.And special x ray views as well as CT scan and MRI may also be required to reach a proper diagnosis as to the cause of your pain.Once a diagnosis is reached a surgical procedure suitable for your condition is to be considered. If one specialist has not been able to find a cause of pain in front of your knees I would advise you to take a second opinion.
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MS