Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What causes the cicum to get enlarged the size of a grapfruit

What causes the cicum to get enlarged the size of a grapfruit and now rests on left side of my stomach? Due to this enlargtement, the appendix now points up instead of normally down. Can these enlarged cicum be the cause of me having chills, pain on the left side and pain right under the left rib cage?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.
Hello!

Chronic constipation is usually the cause of an enlarged cecum.The change in position is harder to say what may have caused this. The unusual position may have been there since birth or the changes caused by some past infection may have caused this.(In this scenario it is possible that infection may have led to strands of scar tissue btween loops of bowel and then later contracted pulling the cecum into this unusual position.

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions then I'll be happy to get back with you.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did not get an answer on Can an enlarged cecum be the cause of stabbing chest pain in the upper abdomen and Can this problem be the cause of my chills?
Hello again!

Sorry, when I answered your question the portion below your age was not available to me. This site acts quirky at times like that.

The charp chest pain is not usually associated with the cecum at all. It may be due to some traction between adhesions(scar tisue) that causes you to have the sharp pains. It might be some inflammation of the lower anterior part of the rib cage.(This lower portion is mostly cartilage and is prone to an inflammatory condition known as costochonditis. Without the benefit of being able to examine you it is hard for me to say what the sharp chest pain may be coming from.

The symptom of you having chills following a recent course of antibiotics does concern me. This to me suggests a high probability of infection. At age 62 you should not run a fever very often or very easily. Chills is usually asymptom of fever. I would suggest that if you can check two things your temperature and your resting pulse rate(resting pulse as meaning sitting at rest for 5 minutes) If your temperature is over 99.9 then this is a fever. If your resting pulse is much above 80 then this might be a sign of increased stress on your body and an infection may be the reason. If these are present then I suggest that you follow up with your doctor. If you should have abominal pain that you can not sleep through then this would also indicate getting checked out ASAP.

Sharp pain is not usually cardiac in nature. (Nothing is 100% but as a rule this is unusual for the character of heart related pain to be sharp in character)You might chech for areas of tendernes along the ribs/lower rib cage.

If you have further questions then let me know and I'll be happy to get back with you.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One last question. My cecum is enlarged and this abnormal. Now, What can be done to bring the cecum back to normal? Do I continue taking the antibodies AMOXICILLIN/CLAVUL 500 mg for how long? or will surgery be required to correct the cecum?
Hi again!

If felt necessary the cecum might be moved with a surgical procedure. There is not a procedure that I'm aware of that would reduce the size. The main thing for the enlargement would be to prevent it from worsening.This would be to prevent constipation.

Plenty of fluid intake and a stool softener on a daily basis is what I would recommend. (You don't want to take a daily LAXATIVE in that this can lead to decreased tone of the bowel and laxative dependance. I advocate either 1 tablespoon of mineral oil daily or daily docusate (Colace or Surfak are two brand names) (The mineral oil is labeled as a laxative but this is really a stool softener; the mineral oil is not absorbed into the body; the main objection that people have is the taste.)

If you go the docusate route then i would recommend about 200mg a day. Yhe Surkfak brand is 260mg; the Colace brand and most generics are 100mg capsules.

The antibiotic is for treatment of infection so with this follow your doctors directions.I would recommend that you call your doctor and let himm know of your chills and if you have a fever.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD