Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I have a very swollen, red, usually painful right forearm,

Customer Question

I have a very swollen, red, usually painful right forearm, for about 5 weeks. It just blew up one night. It has not gone down at all. Symptoms are usually worse in the late evening. 5 different doctors think maybe I was bitten by something, but there has been no mark or other evidence to that effect. Antibiotics have done nothing. I noticed tonight that when my right arm started to feel and look much worse, there was a 1 1/2 inch spot on my LEFT arm near my wrist that itches terribly and is MUCH HOTTER than anywhere on the rest of my arm. I feel there is somehow a connection. Many tests have come back negative for anything, but something is very wrong.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
What is your age?

Any conditions like diabetes?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a 62 year old female. A bit overweight. No diabetes, not even close. I am a pianist, go to the gym occasionally. I don't smoke. I have some allergies to mold, mildew, cats, dust mites.

I have fibromyalgia and a small amout of neuropathy, cause unknown, in my feet. I have severe Restless Leg syndrome, well controlled high blood pressure and no thyroid gland - I take synthroid. I also take Requip and Lyrica.
The conditions most likely to cause this are:

Cellulitis: infection of tissues under the skin.

Skin conditions: skin conditions like Scleroderma.

Lymphedema: collection of lymph under the skin.

In your case, cellulitis seems to be eliminated since you get no relief from antibiotics.

Skin conditions like scleroderma and lymphedema seem most likely.

You should consult a dermatologist to rule out skin conditions. If no skin conditions are found, then you should consult your doctors to rule out lymphedema.

There is really no way to connect the itching on the left wrist with swelling on the right arm, the two are very unlikely to be connected.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I haven't been to a dermatologist yet, but at least 2 out of 5 doctors feel there is a connection between the pain, itching, redness on my right arm and the fact that the spot on my left arm acts up at EXACTLY the same time, and symptoms on both are "better" simultaneously. It is just that no one yet has come up with any ideas. I had hoped to get a different idea from someone else. Maybe a dermatologist might have another viewpoint.
One way in which it could be connected is again a skin disease like scleroderma, if the patch on the left wrist is also a scleroderma patch along with the skin on the right. In that case, it is logical that a flare up of sclerderma would cause flaring up of skin on the right along with the patch on the left.