Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

My mothers uterine cancer has spread to her peritoneal sack.

My mother's uterine cancer has spread to her peritoneal sack. She is 77 years old and has a history of congestive heart failure and copd. Would Continuous hyperthermic peritoneal perfusion be an appropriate treatment for her and where can we find a doctor in the chicagoland area that performs this treatment
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Hypertermic peritoneal perfusion is not appropriate for stage IV uterine cancer - the best you can do at this point is palliative care. Also, she should be under the care of a Gynecologist - Oncologist ( there are probably very few in Chicago/Illinois because of the Tort/Malpractice problem in Chicago - the best doctors have left that part of the country). Take care
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what makes it inappropiate. Just trying to get a better understanding
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
At this point, it is still considered experimental - so she would have to be enrolled in a 'study' - and the doctor's treating her would need to consent and counsel her just like they did her surgery for uterine cancer. I hope this helps, take care.