Dr. Redd
Dr. Redd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in Internal Medicine. I have been in full-time private practice for over 15 years.

I am 35 years old and have shingles on my back. I have been

I am 35 years old and have shingles on my back. I have been on valtrex for 4 days. Is it possible to develop shingles on my nose or face while on the medication?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 7 years ago.

It would be highly unusual for you to develop shingles in a different dermatome (nerve distribution) than the one where the shingles first broke out.

A couple of questions:
How high on your back is your rash?
Did a doctor confirm that it was shingles?
Can you describe the rash that is on your nose/face?
Is the facial rash on the same side of your body as the rash on your back?
Thanks, Dr.Redd

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is on my left side- right next to my breast bone and then a little on my back. I am also 34 weeks pregnant. Both my OB and internist confirmed that it is shingles. I am taking 1g of valtrex 3 times a day for seven days. I am on day 4. I noticed on my nose (what looks like a blemish or blister and it hurts slightly). What would it look like if this was the case? Of course the internet is terrifying when you look up what this can mean. I'm curious if it is just the stress getting the best of me or if it perhaps could be something after being on the valtrex for this many days. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 7 years ago.

Shingles shouldn't be present on the face as well as that area of your trunk. Shingles is usually limited to one dermatome (nerve distribution), but occasionally can be 2-3 dermatomes, but these would be dermatomes adjacent to each other. I'm fairly certain that the facial rash is unrelated to shingles ... it is too far away.
Best wishes,
Dr. Redd
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. So it is not possible to spread the rash through touch from one dermatome to another? Is facial paralysis not possible then from shingles if you only have it on your back?
Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 7 years ago.
No, you can't spread the rash though touch from one dermatome to another. Also, you won't get facial paralysis from shingles that is on your back.

I hope I have reassured you. Best wishes to you and the little one.

Dr. Redd

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.