Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

What is prior granulomatous disease I had an xray done and

What is prior granulomatous disease? I had an xray done and it came back with a calcified lymph node in the left infahilar region compatible with prior granulomatous disease in the lung. What should have done? do I need tosee someone or test done. Is it seious?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question.

Your xray result is not uncommon. A granuloma is a small area of inflammation in tissue due to an infection. They are benign and produce no symptoms. Your xray result indicates that you have had a lung infection in the past, but no signs of any active infection now.

The most common cause of granuloma is a fungus called histoplasmosis. Another common cause is tuberculosis.

I would recommend that you get tested for tuberculosis(TB test). The tuberculosis bacteria can remain dormant in the body for many years. If your TB test is positive, then your doctor may recommend a course of antibiotics to completely eradicate the bacteria. If the TB test is negative, then the granuloma is likely caused by either a fungus or another bacteria, and no further follow-up is required.

I hope this answers your question.