Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Hematology/Oncology

How do I know if I broke, dislocated or sprained my thumb

How do I know if I broke, dislocated or sprained my thumb joint?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
The only definitive way to make sure there is no fracture is to get an Xray. We can get some clues from your symptoms and how you injured yourself.
When did the injury occur and exactly what happened? Where (pointing with one finger) does your thumb hurt? Any swelling, bruising, or redness? Do you have normal sensation in the tip of your thumb? Are you able to move your thumb in all directions even tho' it hurts?
Thank you.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has been two weeks now, and the joint, one side is quite swollen today and red. It does not bend smooth and is very painful. It feels 'disjointed' when I bend it. It often hurst to bend to bend it a lot, there is joint pain at the base of the thumb as well.
Thank you for the additional helpful information.
Again, the only way to know for sure is to get an Xray, but two weeks out from a sprain or dislocation, you should not have this much swelling and discomfort.
Because it's your thumb, I do recommend you get an Xray. In the meantime, ice it if it helps it feel better, even tho' you are far out from the injury, warm packs can help too. You can get an inexpensive splint at the pharmacy to help you keep the thumb immobilized when you don't have to use it.
Good luck,
Louise Sivak, M.D.