BMW MD
BMW MD, Doctor
Experience:  AP/CP BE Pathologist, Harvard trained BE Molecular Genetic Pathologist

Hi, I believe I have what is acalled malar bags. I researched

Hi, I believe I have what is acalled malar bags. I researched a doctor's answer online for another patient stating that it may be cause by fluid retention due to allergies. I have noticed that my nasal passage for past 2 years stays colloged up and then opens ups one at a time. I wonder if I may have an allergen infection that may be cause the swelling on top of cheeck area? If so what over counter meds can i take or what can i do to alleviate the allergies or infection? and once I start to take meds will it help the swelling to go down? Is there are anything to do to also help swelling to go down? Heat maybe, tried ice does not affect it. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  BMW MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I would be happy to try to answer your question. First I will discuss surgical options, and then some home remedies you can try.

Unfortunately, malar bags are a very tough problem to improve treat. Laser resurfacing with lower eyelid surgery and in some cases directly excising the malar bags could be used. Direct excision seems to work the best but may not be a good option for people of all ages. It does leave a scar which is usually better than the bag itself but does take several months to heal and for swelling to resolve. In some cases in younger people with minimal malar bags, a resurfacing laser, such as a CO2 laser, can be used, sometimes 2-3 treatments, to get the desired results.

I would recommend getting evaluated by your doctor, especially your thyroid, Definitely have your thyroid hormone levels tested. If normal, then I would recommend a consult with Robert Goldberg, MD at UCLA. Dr. Goldberg has a technique where he treats malar bags with radiofrequency with success. If he cannot treat you, you will be very honest.

As for home remedies, I would suggest dandelion root and dandelion leaves. These can make an infusion or tea that will help with fluid retention. Also, natural diuretics such as dhaniya, cocunut water may help.

I hope this helps.I put a good amount of thought and care in to my answer. Please be respectful of my time and effort, and if satisfied, please click ACCEPT so I may be paid for my work. Use of this service does not constitute any patient relationship, and I assume no medico-legal responsibility. If anything is unclear, please ask for clarification.

Take good care, and best wishes.

B Wildemore, MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I thank you for your time. I would like to know when you say resurfacing laser treatment, what laser machine are you talking about. Is the titan tightening and lifting a resurfacing machine? will it do the trick, or what is the name of the resurfacing laser, so that I can find a doctor that does it. Or do you know or recommend one. Thanks.
Expert:  BMW MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I was referring to a carbon dioxide laser. This is the use of light beams that are either pulsed or scattered at a very high rate. This minimizes heat damage that the skin might otherwise be exposed to. It also allows a more powerful CO2 laser to be utilized for deeper tissue removal and for more effective removal of pronounced wrinkles and creases.

It is definitely in the realm of treatment options for those who have malar bags. You should probably schedule a consult with a cosmetic surgeon to get the best answers for your particular issue. They will be able to tell you the success rates. I do not know of any but I am sure you can find them on line.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best wishes!

B Wildemore MD
Expert:  BMW MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I see that you have read my answer to your last question. Was there anything else I can help you with?

BMW MD
BMW MD, Doctor
Experience: AP/CP BE Pathologist, Harvard trained BE Molecular Genetic Pathologist