Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I have a relatively painless lump near my anus. It looks like

I have a relatively painless lump near my anus. It looks like a blister and is kind of purple in color. It is about the size of a pea and only hurts a little bit, especially when touched. Could this be hemorroids? If so how do I treat them?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Hi karmamacey,

When you say near the anus, is it on the buttock or coming out of the anus?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is not on the buttock it is right next to the anus.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the clarification,

It is likely a hemorrhoid then. They have a purplish appearance. I will add a wikipedia link that has a picture of a hemorrhoid at the end of this answer so you can compare what you are seeing with the picture.

Hemorrhoids typically develop for several reasons: pregnancy/childbirth, diarrhea, constipation and straining, prolonged sitting.

They can bleed, so if you see bright red blood on the toilet paper after wiping, do not be alarmed.

Hemorrhoids can become thrombosed, meaning a blood clot develops in them. This can make them extremely painful. I do not think you have this as your pain is not severe.

In order to treat hemorrhoids, you want to ensure soft stools by drinking plenty of fluids, adding more fiber to your diet (bran and possibly a fiber supplement such as citrucel or benefiber), avoid straining and sitting on the toilet for long periods. You can also buy over the counter hemorrhoid creams and a sitz bath.
Here is more information (much of this I already covered):

Here is the link to a picture

If this does not look like what you have or if you have more questions, please let me know and we can discuss more.
I hope this is helpful for you,
Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That picture was very helpful. It does look similar to what I have only mine is bigger and it is more clear or fesh colored with a purplish tint to it.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the hemorroid can vary in appearance.
Here is another picture that may look more like it. I am not sure if this link will work but try it.;jsessionid=BF6D526E873C11C02216381256CE5CC3.1003?imageKey=gast_pix/thrombos.htm&title=Thrombosed%20external%20hemorrhoid

I would have your doctor take a look at it if there is any doubt.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Should the lump eventually go away? If so how long should ti take for the lump to disappear?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
The lump and tenderness should be gone after 1-2 weeks. Have your doctor look at it if it isn't gone after 2 weeks.

And just as an FYI, I am happy to answer all of your questions regarding this subject until you are satisfied. You don't have to accept (and pay) for each additional question that you have regarding your initial inquiry.
I am happy to continue until you have all your answers regarding hemorrhoids.