Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

I have a tingling or pulsating sensation in my groin and scrotal

I have a tingling or pulsating sensation in my groin and scrotal area. I had a PTCA procedure done in January. could i have developed a pseudo-aneurysm this far out?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question.

It is very unlikely that you have developed an arterial defect(such as a pseudo-aneurysm) in your femoral artery(the artery that runs in the groin area) 6 months after the procedure. Aneurysms are usually formed in arteries that have a high blood pressure(i.e. the arteries closests to the heart). The pressure in the femoral arteries are not high, and so aneurysm formation is very unlikely even if the arterial wall is weakend by the PTCA procedure.

It is however likely that you have developed some scar tissue around the PTCA site. If the scar tissue sit on top of the femoral artery, the pulsation in the artery can be transmitted to your skin. This may explain why you feel a pulsating sensation in the groin area. This condition is benign.

I hope this answers your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

that was helpful, I will certainly release the fee, is there anything they can do about the scar tissue? It has become very distracting

thank you

Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.
The only way to remove scar tissue is to surgically resect it. However, as you can imagine scar tissue removal surgery often leads to new scar formation.

An alternative is steroid injection into the scar, which can "shrink" the scar tissue. You may want to discuss with your doctor and see if this is a good option for you.