Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have a dull pain in both sides of my chest (where my rib

I have a dull pain in both sides of my chest (where my rib cage is). I have had it for the past week. I am a 26 year old male, smoke about 5 a day but I do drink a lot of alcohol, particularly in the past couple of months. It appears worse when sitting at my desk and I have also done sit ups in the last week, something that I have not done for a long time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Any other symptoms such as sweating, vomiting, fever, abdominal pain, difficulty in breathing?

Does anything relieve the pain? Does anything aggravate it?

Is the pain constant or intermittent?

Is it painful to touch?

Use of medications?

Any relevant past history?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope, no other real symptoms, I can still even jog, although I haven't tried doing other sit ups.

It is better first thing in the morning and then from about 12.00 it is more or less a constant dull ache on both sides of my chest. It is not stopping me from doing anything or even disrupting my sleep... Nothing relieves or aggravates the pain but I have not tried any painkillers. It is not painful to touch and it is very hard to locate a precise area in which the pain is located. I have not used any medications and I have no relevant past history.

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your history and symptoms I think that this dull pain is most probably due to muscle strain. Strained muscles may cause a superficial and continuous ache or pulling type sensation in the chest.

The other possibility, is pain due to gastritis, which can occur from alcohol use. Alcohol irritates the stomach lining and can cause chronic gastritis.

Hence I would suggest that you take Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice daily for a week and see if it relieves your pain.

Along with it you can also take Prilosec 20 mg once daily for 2 weeks.

Take care.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Please note that answers and advice are for information only, and do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship. Please Consult a Physician in your State for Medical Advice.

Answers provided through justanswer.com are for educational and research purposes only.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thankyou for this, please may I ask with regards XXXXX XXXXX gastritis possibility, I did not drink any alcohol yesterday or today but the pain is still there and I do not experience any of the other symptoms of gastritis such as nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, or weight loss. In fact my urine is clear and I have not experienced constipation, which is a problem that I have had in the past (I have a colonoscopy before which came out clear). Would this thefore tend to favour the possibility of muscle strain then?
Yes, most probably it is muscle strain.

But, in many patients chronic gastritis causes no signs or symptoms, and can only present with a dull pain.

Hence, you can try Ibuprofen, and based on whether it relieves this dull pain, a diagnosis of muscle strain can be made.

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.