Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I have swollen lymph node behind right ear and headache. Why?

The lymph node behind the right ear is swollen. I have headache & pain behind the right ear but I have no fever. The blood test is fine (white blood cell is ok), x-ray & ultra sound have been done but no report as yet. What caused it? Could it be tumor? If blood work is ok, that means there is no infection inside me, right? I also have some rash on the right side of the forehead & above the right eyebrow. It is itchy too.
Thanks.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 7 years ago.

Is the lymph node painful to the touch?

Do you have any pain inside the ear?

Any trouble hearing?

Do you have a sore throat?

Is the rash on the forehead only itchy or is it painful and swollen too?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes it is painful to touch the lymph node. Not much pain inside the ear now. I have a little bit of sore throat only not much. The rash is on the right side of the forehead only & it is a bit itchy but not swollen or painful. I have used Ciprodex on my right ear. The pain is mostly on the back of the right ear. I have no trouble hearing. If the blood test is normal, could it be the presence of any tumor?

Although the blood test is normal, it is more likely that the lymph node is swollen because of infection. A mild infection may not necessarily cause a rise in the WBC level. The lymph nodes of these area drain the ears, the upper throat, the nose and the surrounding areas. Since you had infection inside the ear as well as a sore throat, chances are that the lymph node is also inflamed. Swelling of lymph nodes due to tumors are usually painless. If you have not been prescribed any anti-inflammatory medicine besides the Ciprodex, please also take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen 200 mg thrice daily after food. You should see the swelling go down in about 3 days.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input.