Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

i have a very painful lump on my lower lip which is swollen

Customer Question

i have a very painful lump on my lower lip which is swollen and got a yellow head on it it appered on thurs morning half hour from i woke up pharmacy said it was a cold sore but am not convinced never had one in my life i,m 36 . it is very sore and the part of my face going towards my cheek and chin is very sore and itchy any help will be appreciated thanks angela
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Can you post a picture?
Is there any tingling? Was there tingling before it started?
Are you having any fever?
Any redness to the cheek area?

Dr. Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no tingling before no tingling now just throbing , no fever and no redness to cheek but my chin is sore and underneath my jaw line is sore and feels achy , the inside of my lip is very sore too been taking pain killers for the discomfort will try and send a photo
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
ok, I wait for the photo.
also wondering if there is any honey colored crusting at all to the area
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes there is just downloading photo now so shouldnt be long

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
ok great I will wait for it!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

cant seem to send photo have you an email address i could send it to

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Angi, We can only communicate on JustAnswer... Here are my thoughts. I still think that a cold sore is high on the list of possibilities. You can get them at any time. The fact that you have never had one before does not rule it out. Typically, they are very painful, cause swelling. The second thought that I have is impetigo. This is a skin infection. If you have a sore that has honey colored crusting, this could be what is going on. It is usually caused by staph or strep bacteria and is treated with topical bactroban (it is a prescription). It is very contagious. I wouldn't expect it to cause as much pain as you are describing, but it is still possible.
The third possibility is an infected cyst with a collection of pus (abscess). This would need to be opened and drained by a doctor and you may need antibiotic pills if it appears to have also caused a skin infection.
If you can get to a doctor, of course, that is the best thing. That way if it is a cold sore, you can begin oral medication that will hopefully lessen the length of time that it lasts (although it theoretically needs to be taken within 48 hours of the onset). If it is impetigo, you need a prescription antibiotic cream. For the itching, you can try otc benadryl or cetirizine (both are antihistamines). I would not put any cortisone creams on it because it is not clear what it is. You can try the over the counter cold sore remedies as well and ibuprofen. If you have any other questions, let me know. I am sorry about the picture. I don't know how to do it and it is against policy to communicate outside of this website. Dr. Abby