Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Physician
Experience:  Practicing Medicine and Surgery since 1992
17282639

the time, but he can fall back asleep really quickly, he falls

My husband has been having issues with sleeping. He can't sleep at night cause he wakes up all the time, but he can fall back asleep really quickly, he falls asleep like that during the day as well we can be having a conversation and he falls asleep. It is really putting a strain on our marriage, we don't have any health insurance is there something we can try that wont cost a lot of money. We have tried a lot of different things and nothing seems to work we have tried pure sleep, breathe right strips and plenty other things. What can we do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

It sounds very much like your husband has sleep apnea. First of all, I want you to understand that this can be a potentially serious problem. Deaths have occurred during sleep from this condition (not to mention falling asleep while driving or doing other hazardous duties). He needs to have a sleep study and then to get a CPAP machine. This could save his life.

But to answer your question. Weight loss is a major help for sleep apnea. Also avoid smoking (or at least reducing). Avoid drinking alcohol prior to bedtime. Sleeping with a pillow under the neck so that the head is tilted back (this open up the airways better). Sleeping on the side. All of these can help, but please read my first paragraph (I understand that you don't have insurance).

Hope this helps and thank you.