Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

I keep getting the urge to have a bowel movement. i go to the

I keep getting the urge to have a bowel movement. i go to the toilet and nothing happens and if it does its just a small movement but when i come out i feel the need to go again.

Thanks for your question.

What is your age and sex?

Since when are you having this symptom?

Any recent history of stress?

Any other symptoms such as fever, pain abdomen?

Do you get such symptoms in the night?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

male age 31

two days with these symptoms

no recent stress

no pains at all

no urge at night

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think you need to be concerned about this symptom. This is because of it's short duration. Also not having any urge during night, and no associated symptoms, rules out many gastrointestinal diseases.

Presently, I would advise you to take dicyclomine [Bentyl] 10 to 20 mg up to 3 times daily to relieve you of such symptoms. You can also take Loperamide (Imodium).

But if you have such symptoms daily for the next week I would suggest you consult with a gastrointestinal doctor. He would rule out the various causes for your symptom.

Actually the most common cause for this symptom of urge and diarrhea is Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

IBS is basically a diagnosis of exclusion. All the other conditions that can cause your symptoms have to excluded through relevant investigations, before diagnosing that your symptoms are due to IBS.

Since you have urge in the morning only, this is also a factor in support of IBS. If you had night time urge, IBS must be excluded and other causes for your diarrhea have to be investigated.

Also you can try out using probiotics, containing Bifidobacterium infantis, like Activia Yogurt, and see if this is beneficial.

Take care.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Please note that answers and advice are for information only, and do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship. Please Consult a Physician in your State for Medical Advice.

Answers provided through are for educational and research purposes only.