Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Physician
Experience:  Practicing Medicine and Surgery since 1992
17282639

IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO FACIAL NERVE DAMAGE POST SURG

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

What surgery did you have? How long ago was it? How extensive is the facial nerve damage?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had surgery a week ago for bilateral bifid condyle. On the right side the doctor opened it and said my mandible was very small. One of the condyles on the right side was downward and embedded in the soft tissue covered with facial nerves. The other condyle on the right side was covered with a thick fibrous scar tissue. My doctor tried to remove most of this but still was not able to get much movement in my right joint. He then moved to the left side. Both condyles were visiable but covered with scar tissue and facial nerves so he did not attempt anything out of fear of more damage to my facial nerves. At this point the said bilaterala joint replacements would be the only thing that would give me opening to my mouth but he doesn't know if it is worth the risk to my facial nerves. I think my doctor is great. My question is what can be done now that there is damage to my right facial nerve. I am unable to move my right eyebrow and have little movement of my right eyelid. The right side of my face droops about 2 inches lower than the left side. Can this be repaired and what type of doctor do I need to see to get this repaired.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

First of all, it is too early to tell the extent of the permanent damage to the facial nerve. I have seen many occasions where the nerve was only partially injured and recovered in time (6 months).

In the meanwhile, the major problem would have to do with the eyes. If you are unable to close and protect your eyes, there are temporary surgeries (gold weight and tarsorrhaphies) to protect the eye.

Once the permanence of the damage is established, you would try a neurosurgeon to see if repair is possible.

Hope this helps and thank you.