Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor
Experience:  MBChB. BSc(Hons)Pharm
659881

Can I drink wine while taking Allopurinol (300mg once a day)

Can I drink wine while taking Allopurinol (300mg once a day)? I know not to drink beer, but what about vodka, wine, wine coolers, mikes hard lemonade?

Alcohol of any description can increase uric acid, and so increase chance of gout although limited intake of wine is less likely to increase gout compared to spirits and beer.

I would suggest a minimal intake of wine if you cannot avoid alcohol completely.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So drinking wine while taking allopurinal is not going to hurt me, but it can cause gout to come back? Allopurinal (300mg) and wine wont really affect my health, but will increase my uric acid level?

There is no interaction with allopurinol and alcohol however alcohol can trigger another episode of gout. I would recommend white wine spritzers for your reunion night as that will allow you to have a good time while minimising alcohol content.

Do make sure that you also continue to drink plenty of water.