Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My tongue is a green tint. Should i be concerned

My tongue is a green tint. Should i be concerned?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Are you on any medications?

Dr. Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not on any medications. I take orthotricyclene. I developed a sore thoat and a tinted green tongue yesterday. I have been under a lot of stress recently. But, I've never seen my tongue this shade, and clearly I am concerned. What could it be?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Just a couple more questions for you...
Do you drink coffee? Tea? Smoke?
What part of the tongue appears green? Is it more toward the back of the tongue?

Dr. Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I drink a cup of coffee a day. I do not smoke. The middle of the tongue is green. Just past the tip, to the back. It's pretty centered. Can something sexually have caused this?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
An oral infection with an STD, will typically cause a sore throat with redness. A green tongue is not a symptom of an STD.
If you are having a sore throat that doesn't go away, that would need to be checked out, although oral STD's are not incredibly common. It could be strep or mono causing your sore throat.
The green tongue could be a bacterial infection (doubtful) or it could be due to drinking coffee. Black hairy tongue can actually have a green or yellow appearance to it. It is caused by enlongation of the taste buds. This can sometimes be treated simply by using a tongue scraper and brushing the tongue.

It could also be due to staining from something dietary.

If it doesn't improve, have your doctor look at it but it is not a symptom of an STD, so I would not worry about that specifically.
If you have any other questions, let me know.
Dr. Abby