Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

body temperature is 96.6 F and I am akey. No runny nose and

body temperature is 96.6 F and I am akey. No runny nose and been drinking water and gatorade. What can be the cause of this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Greetings.

Did you take oral temperature?

What were the symptoms or reasons you took temperature?

What is your otherwise normal temperature?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yesterday I felt dehydrated and near heat stroke condition. I started out today fine. Worked outside while drinking plenty of water but it was still 109F. I felt akey and a little natious. But I have held food down and no runny nose or itchy throat.

I used a Oral thermometer. At 930 pacific time it read 97.5 degrees. I am usually 98.6 typical temp. A minute ago (330 am pacific) I took my temp and it was 96.6 F.

I feel really akey and really feel sick. I do feel natious now. I took advil and tylenol yesterday and just took more tylenol now.

The electrolyte disturbances and dehydration is common cause for the this low temperature and with your symptoms, it seems that you may require some intravenous fluids. Tylenol and Advil may also be contributory to low temperature with the dehydration and electrolyte disturbances. The low temperature also can be recorded if you had drunk water or any liquid from the fridge and immediately taken the temperature. Oral temperature stays low for atleast 10 minutes and in this case a temperature should be taken after 15 minutes of consuming anything. If your symptoms severity persists and temperature also stays low, it would be prudent that you consult Emergency Room.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I rehydrate myself better? I have been drinking gatorade and water.

You would require around three and a half liters of the fluids in the 24 hours period. Your can equally distribute this amount of liquids in following fluids;

1) Water

2) Gatorade

3) commercial oral rehydration formulas are available and have been designed to promote optimal absorption of nutrients. You do not need prescription for them.

4) Fresh juice

5) Soups

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist