Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

is it okay to take a zPack and prednisone (40 mg for 2 days

is it okay to take a zPack and prednisone (40 mg for 2 days then 30 mg for 2 days, then 20 mg for 2 days, and finally 10 mg for days)? Will the prednisone make me susceptible to infection after I finish it, if the Zpack wipes out all the bacteria?

Generally if you are taking a short course of steroids, you wil not be more suseptible to infection.

Chronic steroids (like over three weeks in duration) certainly can increase your risk of infections.

But the ZPak is designed to give you essentially 10 days of antibiotic coverage (since the medication stays in your body long after you have actually finished the 5 days worth of pills) -- and so you should be OK.