Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have lower back pain, lime green stool, and a tightened stomach.

I have lower back pain, lime green stool, and a tightened stomach. Why?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Greetings.

Since how long are your symptoms?

Were any investigations done for this?

How old are you?

Male or female?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About a week and a half. My own inquiries. 26 year old. Male.

Greetings.

Diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome are the common causes for these symptoms. Green bowel movements can be due to;

1) green leafy vegetables or food coloring agents

2) faster movements of the intestines; the bile is not properly digested and gives green color to the stool.

Please read this authentic resource for the stool color for the further details;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stool-color/AN00772

If the color cannot be explained on the basis of food items, one should be seen by his primary care physician to ascertain the cause for increased intestines movements. Irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulitis can be ruled out or ruled in by physical examination. If necessary some medical imaging like an ultrasound or barium meal follow through may be done.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could any of these problems be manifested from or influenced by alcohol. There was also problems with urination buy I believe it could have been passing stones. I started to guess about prostate and are not sure if it's worth going to the doctor for. I haven't had a check up in about 3-5 years, can't recall. Thanks for ur input doc.

Pancreatitis is caused by alcohol and it can give you back pain too. The symptom severity would dictate the decision of consulting a physician. If your pain is more than 6 on the scale of 0-10 and tightness of the abdomen is moderate to severe, it would be good to consult your physician immediately and get the medical imaging and blood work done. Prostate and urinary stone would give usually a loin to groin pain, urinary burning, increased frequency etc. A urine test very easily diagnose these conditions. CT scan and ultrasound of the abdomen also are very good modality to give a definite diagnosis in your symptoms.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess I will just have to goto the doctor and check it out. Thanx for the help doc. Have a good one.

You are most welcome.

Yes, it would be the right course.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun