Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My big toe has a burning sensation

My big toe has a burning sensation
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Hi john,

When did this start?
Any redness?
Pain with the burning?
What is your age?
Do you take medications/have health problems such as diabetes?

Dr. Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It started about three years ago and then stopped, it seems to be in the joint on the side were the toe is joined to the foot and not the joint half way the toe. Its like red hot needles and woke me up the other night. I have a new job which involves me driving a lot and since then it has aggrevated it. My age is 46, i dont have any health problems and not unfit, i dont smoke and eat properly.Looking at it now it is slightly red, it isnt hurting now but can just start up for no reason. The pain is very harsh, it is very uncomfortable and i think i have good pain thresh hold yet this pain does really hurt and i sometimes feel i could just cut of the toe to relieve the pain.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
It sounds very painful...

Have you had any evaluation for it yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was told when it started it was arthritis and given some tablets which were huge but didnt help about three years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
I will be honest, the way that you describe it sounds like it may be gout.
It very often affects the first toe, at the base. Typical symptoms are severe pain, often occurring at night, redness, swelling and warmth.
There are medications that can treat the acute pain as well as prevent recurrences if this is in fact the diagnosis.
I would definitely consider seeing your doctor again and having him check you for gout. A blood test for uric acid can help to make the diagnosis if it is elevated.
It is easier to make the diagnosis if you are seen when you are having an attack.
Here is a link with more information about gout:

If you have any more questions, please let me know. I hope this is helpful for you!
Dr. Abby