Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

My daughter has a blood clot in her left ventricle. Her heart

My daughter has a blood clot in her left ventricle. Her heart is working at 10%. What treatments should be done?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear worried mother,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

What is her age?

How long is she having this problem?

what are the symptoms?

what are the investigations done so far?

Is she taking any drug?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is 38 years old. She had a virus that settled in her heart at a young age and has had congestive heart failure for nearly 20 years now. She has a pace maker and was doing fairly well until last fall. In May they did an echo and said that her heart contained a clot. They are trying to dissolve it by using coumadin but she is very weak now. She is taking lots of medicines....which I don't know how to spell....she is also diabetic...she is taking laciks (sp?)...diuretic several different heart medicines....insulin...I just want to know what treatments are possible for her.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear worried mother,

thank you for the information,

There are some treatment options avaialable for the such clots in the heart.The common ones are thrombolysis using streptokinase, urokinase, etc. drug.

The use of anticoagulant drugs like warfarin, coumadin, heaparin may prevent blood clot formation but may not dissolve the clot by lysis.

The other treatment option is the surgery.The surgical embolectomy is done by doing the open heart surgery if the clot is large enough.You may consult a cardiothoracic surgeon for that.

let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If her heart is only working at 10% would the surgery be an option?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear worried mother,

The surgery is a risky treatment options because she is already having the weak heart and heart failure.There may be complications during the anaesthesia procedure and post-op recovery..

The thrombolysis may also have some risk of embolus going to brain and causing stroke.

The anticoagulants use for a long time may be beneficial and the chances of clot dissloving by itself is also there.

You may consult your doctor about the various risk factors and benefit ration of the different procedures.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!