Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

I have sharp pains in my upper back, on the right side for

I have sharp pains in my upper back, on the right side for about 24 hours. Neither heat nor cold nor Advil is of any help. No resting position eases the pain. I also have an unusually large amount of gas and forceful burping. I have no painkillers other than Advil, and I am allergic to most codeine products. Any suggestions on easing the pain until I can get medical attention tomorrow AM?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

How long are you having the pain?

What is the exact location of pain?

What are the drugs you have taken and in what doses?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Had pain for over 24 hours, but most severe since this morning.

Pain is in my right side of my back, midway between shoulder and waist.

I have taken 2 Advils 4 times since this morning. No other drugs.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of such pain.The common ones are colitis, cholecystitis, lymphadenitis, hepatitis, gall bladder stones, kidney stones, etc.

As per the location of pain on the right side, the chances of colick pain may be there which may occur in kidney stones, colitis, etc.The antispasmodic drugs like buscopan, anaspas, peppermint oil, aleverine etc. are helpful in such colicy pain.

The other cause of pain may be due to cholecystitis or GB stones which may also cause such constant pain in that region.

The nerve irritation due to spinal cord disease may also cause such pain in you.

You may take the antispasmodic drugs as mentioned above to control such colicky pain.

You should have the relevant investigation done like sonography abdomen, blood counts, serum amylase, lipase, liver function test, etc. after consulting your gastroenterologist.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Please visit here for more information

antispasmodic drugs

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice