doctor123, Doctor
Experience:  4 years of experience in primary care medicine
A new question is answered every 9 seconds normal areas, such as my jawline and chin

Customer Question

I am a 42 year old male, and have had mild to moderate acne for 25 years. The acne is currently under good control with benzoyl peroxide in the morning and dalacin T nightly. However my skin oiliness has increased markedly over the last few days, particularly in formerly normal areas, such as my jawline and chin, and I am worried I will have a big breakout. Acne dominates my life and affects my quality of life enormously. Do you think low dose isotretinoin would be a good option for me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  doctor123 replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Low dose accutane is a potential option. It is generally prescribed by dermatologist for severe acne that has failed all other methods or is nodulocystic in nature.

Your dermatologist may consider this now since you have tried others and are not satisfied. You would need baseline labs first anyway. Another option would be a round of oral antibiotics instead.

good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have absolutely no infection at present ,thanks to the dalacin T, so don't think a round of oral antibiotics would help. The main problem is the very noticeable oiliness and the small pimples I get aound my cheekbones, which i shouldn't have to put up with at my age! I am considering going to a private dermatologist but don't want to waste my money unless I'm at least 50% sure he will agree to put me on low does isotretinoin. Do you think there is a >50% chance?
Expert:  doctor123 replied 7 years ago.
I do think there is a >50% chance. However, remember there is no way to be absolutely sure. Accutane is not a drug to be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly. It can have serious/fatal side effects and is monitored very closely. Only the derm you see can give you the options. I have seen some dermatologists be more willing to prescribe this drug and have seen others that rarely ever use it. Make your appointment. It is worth taking the time to go in my opinion.

good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Doctor 123!! I really appreciate your help. I will go to the dermatologist as you advise
Expert:  doctor123 replied 7 years ago.
good luck....